5/8/13

Make Your Own Mercury Glass Votives and Vases


The other day I was in Walmart with my Michael and he wanted to look at a few of the Hot Rod magazines. So we meandered over to the electronics section where the magazines are kept and as Micheal checked out the latest sport cars and what not, I picked up Better Homes and Gardens special Make It Yourself issue. In the issue was this tutorial on how to make your own Mercury glass items. To me it looked fairly easy so yes I bought the issue...I am such a sucker for magazines.

Aside from needing a glass item to work with,  you will need a special paint made by Krylon called Looking Glass Mirror Like spray paint. OK not an easy item to find but it is carried by Hobby Lobby and you can check Michael's Craft store or A.C. Moore. If you decide to do this project be prepared, the price of the paint is a bit high...I paid $11.99 for a 6 oz can. In addition you will need a spray bottle filled with water and some newspaper and or paper towel.


First make sure you are working in a well ventilated area...I am doing this project on my back patio.

According to the tutorial you need to spray the inside of a clean vase or votive with plain water and then lightly spray the Looking Glass spray paint on to the water. 


Then holding the outside of the vase, swirl around the paint in the water to cover the inside of the container. 


Invert the glass piece and let drain on newspaper or paper towel. As you can see I used a paper plate.


Repeat the process 4 or 5 times or until you've achieved the desired look.


I sprayed a light coat of gold paint inside the votive to give it a little more of a warm glow. Since this paint can be washed away with just water, some tutorials I read on line suggested applying a protective coat of a clear sealant to ensure you keep the desired look. I think I'll be picking some up on my next trip to the craft store.


To get the look of the long necked vase just apply Elmer's spray adhesive and then wrap it with some jute string.

XO
Linking up to parties at these wonderful blogs...

10 comments:

  1. what a great idea! thanks for the inpiration Barbara~

    Patty from www.acreativechic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbara for the tutorial....I have been meaning to try this and you reminded me!! Love the way your vases and votive holder turned out. The jute wrapped vase looks very designer and adds an interesting texture. I love your blog and read every day. Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this. You make it look so easy! I would love for you to share this at my linky party. http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/efforts-and-assets-linky-party-1.html

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, your vases look amazing! I agree, you make it look so easy... Thank you for the inspiring idea and for your nice words on my blog! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, I love this idea. Had seen it a while back on another blog and wanted to try it, now I will get off my duff and do so. Your's looks so pretty with the candles inside..Happy Friday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can use that Looking Glass spray on many things. It is pricy, but I use a coupon at Hobby Lobby to buy it. Love the way your project turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara what a wonderful project! These look amazing! I think you could make so many with the one can of spray paint so it would still be a bargain and like many use a coupon to purchase it! Thanks for joining Diann and I at TTF this week!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. These turned out so pretty. Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial. Thanks for joining us at Transformed Tuesday.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I've seen the looking glass spray paint at Walmart. I think it was around $8.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi Barbara- I just linked to your party and then got distracted by a 1/2 dozen sidebar posts! Love love love! laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. They truly do brighten my day.

Disclaimer

All content provided on 21 Rosemary Lane blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site.

The owner of www.21rosemarylane.com will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at anytime with or without notice.

In addition products mentioned in some of my blog posts are done with the hope that i will render a good review on my blog. Products I review are ones that I have used personally and believe my readers will enjoy.
Copyright © 2014 21 Rosemary Lane. All rights reserved . Powered by Blogger.